Friday, August 26, 2011

End of August meals

I couldn't get to the store until yesterday, so I made a huge batch of pancakes one night. If you make tons, then you just pop the leftovers into the toaster the next day and have pancakes for breakfast too! Then we had macaroni and cheese one night and ramen another night. This is what we are trying to avoid by making this website! If you have a plan it is so easy and simple to make something that is just as fast and easy and even yummier.

So here is the plan for the next week.

1. Friday
I was GOING to make corned beef and cabbage (enough for 2 nights) but my stupid grocery store only carries corned beef in March. For the best corned beef sauce mix equal thirds sour cream, prepared horseradish sauce, and mayonnaise. Just put a pile of that on your plate and dip everything in it!

2. Friday (again)
I will probably go dig up some potatoes from my garden and make cheese fries!
Wash and slice some potatoes. Grease a cookie tray or cake pan. Sprinkle season salt (or regular salt) over the fries. Bake at 350 for 35-55 minutes depending on how deep you piled them and how many you have. I have to make 5 pounds at a time for us. Take them out, sprinkle cheese over them, put them back in and make some fry sauce (mayonnaise and ketchup). Take the fries out and eat them!

PULL OUT SOME CHICKEN FROM THE FREEZER TO DEFROST

3. Saturday
This is the day I will be sorting my crock pot contents. See my last post for any details. I will also start a batch of beans (white this time) in my small crockpot using some of the beef broth. For dinner Saturday I will make chicken alfredo with noodles and cauliflower (or broccoli). I have some cooked chicken (turkey actually) in my freezer left over from roast turkey meals which I do every other month or so. I buy 5-6 turkeys when they go on sale and have a pretty steady supply of fresh turkey and then cooked turkey to put in whatever I want for the next month. So, to make my chicken (turkey) alfredo, you have to cook your chicken, open a jar of alfredo sauce or mix up a couple alfredo packets, boil some noodles, and cook a vegetable. Then toss it all together or separate them on you plate and pour sauce over it all.

PUT THE COOKED BEANS IN THE FRIDGE SATURDAY NIGHT

4. Sunday
We WOULD have the leftover corned beef on this day, but since I didn't make corned beef because my stupid grocery store doesn't carry it unless it is MARCH........I will probably make some half white half wheat tortillas and spread some beans and cheese over them to make quesadillas. Season the beans first of course and warm them up. I would add salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Or I would just fry up some onions and garlic, then add my beans and a some salt. To make quesadillas (however you spell that) you spread some beans on one tortilla, sprinkle some cheese over that, put another tortilla over the top, then put the whole thing in a frying pan until the cheese is melted. Take it out, put another in, and cut the first one into triangles. Dip it in sour cream if you have it. Simple for Sunday. Pop some popcorn later if people get hungry again.

5. Monday
Tamales!
I get out my shredded crockpot meat and add salsa. (I do that a lot). You could use any kind of shredded meat. All I have in my fridge right now is beef, deer, and chicken. This time I'll be using beef. I soak corn husks all day Monday, make some masa dough, and pat it onto the corn husks with plastic baggies over my hands so they won't stick. Then I put a pile of meat in the middle and fold them up. Steam them for an hour. Wait 10 minutes before you eat them so they can "set". Masa flour is usually by the mexican stuff or next to the corn meal at the grocery store and the instructions for masa dough are on the bag. Add some salt though.

6. Tuesday
Chili
I have some ground deer meat in the freezer. Fry some meat, add any beans and broth you have left from the quessadillas, and follow the instructions on the back of a chili envelope. My friend Erin had the brilliant idea to serve in with cheese sprinkled on top, a dollop of sour cream in the center, and fritos arranged around the edges. We will never go back to just plain chili. Another way is to serve it over cornbread. Or with bread and butter. Or as a dip with tortilla chips. Or over hot dogs if you have some left over.

7. Wednesday
Baked potatoes. We have to keep eating the garden potatoes until they are gone. They won't keep in the ground forever. This is one of our all time favorite things to eat. Fresh, little, thin skinned potatoes. Butter melting over the top with lots of salt and pepper, and as much sour cream as I want! No stern father standing over me saying AHEM.....I think you had better put some of that back.....(same with ice cream):P.

8. Thursday we will just eat up anything that is left. If we HAD any corned beef left over we would eat that too. >(. The dessert of choice this week is brownies with little mint chips sprinkled on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment